Porn addiction is a condition in which individuals become so emotionally attached to pornography that it affects their daily life, relationships, and ability to function.
It may also be referred to as hypersexual disorder - an umbrella term for behaviours such as excessive masturbation. A 2019 study conducted by Trusted Source suggests the prevalence of these disorders could range from 3-6%. However because there has been no formal classification system set up, rates have proven difficult for researchers
What is pornography addiction?
Pornography or porn addiction refers to an individual that has become emotionally dependent on pornography. It reaches the point that it intervenes with their relationship, daily walks of life, and even the capacity to function.
Although porn addiction remains a controversial topic. But the fact that pornographic materials may come from online media materials may exposed minors to such online materials without parental supervision.
What are the signs and symptoms?
Identifying the nature or cause of porn addiction remains questionable. However, it can become one, depending on an individual's point of view.
Pornography is viewed by many people. Nevertheless, it is considered an addiction if you are unable to stop using it no matter how damaging the consequences may be. People who are obsessed with pornography watch it excessively all the time, usually for at least 11 hours a week. The similarity between a porn addiction and an alcohol addiction is that both involve a behavior or substance that is normal when consumed in moderation, but they can cause serious problems when consumed excessively or uncontrollably.
Listed below are a few of the signs that pornography is starting to become a problem:
- An individual's sex life starts to become less fulfilling.
- A person may not feel or may feel less satisfied with their partner.
- There may be a tendency for a person to view pornography even in public places such as work.
- An individual may view more intense pornography to achieve the same satisfaction that mild or moderate porn once provided.
- A person may develop guilt or shame after watching a porn movie but continue to view.
- To overcome sadness, depression, or anxiety, some individuals may switch to viewing pornography.
How should I get treated for a pornography addiction?
People involved in this type of addiction might experience a powerful urge to watch pornography. Though the condition has not been clearly defined as a mental illness, there are specific treatments worldwide.
Here are some treatment options that you can try:
- Therapy - if you are convinced that you have a pornography addiction, a mental health expert is perhaps the best choice for a thorough evaluation. And depending on the impact of pornography in your life, a therapist may suggest one-on-one, group, or family counselling.
- Support groups - various groups are too willing to listen to your struggle. All you need to do is reach out and open up your challenges to them. In addition, you can ask for help and information from a doctor or primary care physician, mental health expert, or even from your local hospital for further details on porn addiction support groups.
- Medication - Naturally, treatment for this type of condition involves cognitive behavioural therapy and talk therapy. But there may be some occasions that a doctor might offer medication if you have underlying conditions like depression or anxiety.
How and when to get help?
Just like sex addiction, Pornography addiction is more than just an intense attraction to something. Addiction alters the brain and the physical body, which causes the person involved to feel obliged to continue watching pornography despite knowing that it can harm them in the long run.
If you are suffering from this type of condition, know that you don't have to face it alone. Seeking the help of a psychologist can prove to be the best and most effective method in overcoming porn addiction.
Support groups are beneficial since you can discuss the topic with others who have personal experience with the same concern. You should immediately seek help when you start to notice that you or your loved ones:
- watches pornography while at work or in other public places
- dedicates excessive amounts of time watching porn movies
- shows symptoms of an obsession or porn addiction
The following are a few of the support groups that you can reach out:
#09-22/23, Novena Medical Center, 10 Sinaran Drive, Singapore 307506
Tel #: +65 6397 7309
Fax #: +65 6397 7301
WE CARE Community Services
Kembangan-Chai Chee Community Hub
11 Jalan Ubi, Block 5, #01-41, Singapore 409074
Tel #: 3165 8017
Fax #: 6491 5338
If sexual emotions and thoughts are starting to impact your life and relations with other people negatively, it is the right time to get your life back on track. Seek professional help because you deserve to live a happy and meaningful life!